Sunday, December 14, 2008

Brief Introduction

Dear reader,

As of yesterday, I started searching on ways to "sleep efficiently". What I mean by that is simply not sleeping a lot but feeling completely awake and up and running.

After reading the Polyphasic sleep article on Wikipedia, I ended up reading a couple summaries about different sleep cycles, especially about the Uberman one.

Basically, the goal is to not only reduce your sleeping time but also to make sure you sleep better, as in recuperate faster.

The Uberman schedule is, as you may have guessed already, pretty frightening but amazing at the same time. The goal is to sleep 6 times a day for maximum 20 minutes, and that's it! Yes, you do only get two hours of sleep. But no, you're not tired. You can read more about that here.

Anyways, Uberman (or Dymaxion, which is another equiphasic sleeping schedule) seems pretty hard to sustain in a monophasic sleeping society. In fact, the people who succeeded in the Uberman schedule said they quit because of social problems (especially related to work).

An alternative to Uberman/Dymaxion is the Everyman schedule, also developed by the creator of Uberman. The goal is to only sleep about 3 hours a night but to take a 30 minute nap every couple of hours during the day. That looked like it could fit (almost) perfectly in my school schedule.

Since I've read that the first week is very tough (your body has to adapt to the new rhythm), I decided to do this with a friend, also very interested, who might also be posting on this blog.
I read that the first week you really have to have tons of stuff to do. That's good because I have two tests, a pretty big homework and a couple projects I really wanted to start doing but haven't yet...

Anyways, here's my schedule:


Credits for the original .svg image goes to Steve Pomeroy. Actually, the image is really cool because it has ECMAscript in it so the hands actually move. That way, when I simply keep that image in Firefox and I know I have to go and sleep 30minutes when the hands approach the blues arcs.

To keep thinks clear, I'll try to post as often as I can, and if I post twice in one day, I'll use the following format: "Day X.Y", where X is the number of days since the beginning and Y is the period. The periods are:
  • 1 from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m.
  • 2 from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
  • 3 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
  • 4 from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.


Alrighty, see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment